by Poll Position
by Poll Position
Jumping higher in volleyball is an important skill to have both offensively and defensively. Not only does it help you reach more balls, but it also gives you more power to spike the ball or block an attack. While jumping abilities are partly determined by genetics, there are still a few things that you can do to improve your vertical jump height and maximize your performance on the court. Read on to find out some tips and tricks for how to jump higher in volleyball.
How To Jump Higher in Volleyball?
1. Strengthen Your Legs – Having strong legs is the key to a successful vertical jump. To improve leg strength, try doing squats, lunges and calf raises in your training sessions. You can also use resistance bands or weights to add more intensity and challenge your muscles further.
2. Do Plyometric Exercises – Plyometrics are explosive exercises that involve quickly changing direction or jumping from one position to another. Examples include box jumps, depth jumps and squat jumps. These exercises help you develop power by improving explosiveness, coordination and balance which will all contribute to a higher jump height.
3. Improve Your Flexibility – Having more flexibility helps because it allows for greater range of motion when jumping off the ground. To improve flexibility, incorporate stretching exercises into your warm up and cool down routines to help loosen the muscles around your hips and legs.
4. Develop Core Strength – Having a strong core will help to stabilize your body when you jump. Focusing on exercises that target your abs and lower back such as planks, glute bridges and bent knee sit-ups will all help strengthen this area of the body which can lead to higher jumps.
5. Practice Jumping Drills – Practicing jumping drills can also help with improving vertical height. Drills such as single leg hops, depth drops or double jumps are all beneficial for developing power in the legs and increasing vertical jump ability. Try incorporating these drills into your training sessions a few times a week to help boost your performance.
By following the above tips, you should begin to see improvement in your ability to jump higher for volleyball. Remember that consistency and dedication are key when it comes to training and keep pushing yourself each session. With enough hard work and determination, you’ll be jumping higher than ever before!
Q. How often should I practice jumping drills?
A. It is recommended to do jumping drills a few times per week in order to see improvement in your jump height. However, make sure you incorporate rest days into your training routine as well in order to give your body time to recover and build strength.
Q. What muscles should I focus on when trying to jump higher?
A. The main muscles that will help you jump higher are the quadriceps, hamstrings, calves and glutes. All of these muscle groups need to be strong for optimal performance so make sure you include exercises that target them in your workout routine such as squats, lunges and calf raises.
STAY IN THE LOOP
Subscribe to our free newsletter.
Volleyball is a popular team sport that involves two teams […]
Bumping a volleyball is an essential skill for any volleyball […]